Needed some comfort food today, it’s cold, cold, cold out there. Most of the time the classic Russian Stroganoff dish is made with sautéed beef strips and boiled rice but we like a variation on a theme here, especially when there are things in the fridge which need eating! I’m partial to offal and it’s very reasonably priced compared to sirloin, kidney stroganoff is one of my favourites. I didn’t have any easy cook white rice in the store cupboard so improvised with some M&S Norfolk Season’s Gold (scrumptious) new potatoes & a couple of leeks.
Cava Cream Leek Potatoes
- 1 bag M&S Norfolk Season’s Gold (or your preferred waxy salad potatoes)
- 2 leeks
- 1 clove of garlic thinly sliced
- Half a glass of last night’s Cava
- 2 tablespoons of creme fraiche
- Knob of butter
- 6 lamb kidneys, cleaned of the white core and cut with scissors into small pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced into half moon shapes
- 10 white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- A cup of frozen peas
- A splash of sherry
- Small pot of soured cream
Soften and gently fry in butter the onions (& a clove of chopped garlic if you like). Add in the mushrooms and stir fry for a minute or so then turn up the heat and add the sherry and quickly bubble off. Add in the sliced kidneys, turn down the heat to medium and cook until they turn from red to brown….
…. add the peas and the soured cream. Turn the heat to low and simmer til heated through.
Mr M loves kidney and liver etc., just like me. Brings to mind that phrase from Dick Emery (for us oldies) – Oooooo, he is offal, but I like him 😉